MSBA has an in-district Superintendent Search Workshop (for a fee) to help you learn about the process for conducting a successful superintendent search. The workshop, titled "Hiring the Right Superintendent," addresses the following topics:
- Whether to use a consultant,
- How to work with a consultant,
- Setting a timeline,
- Developing qualifications and selection criteria,
- Involving stakeholders and the media,
- Dealing with internal candidates,
- Legal pitfalls,
- Conducting a site visit, and
- Interviewing do's and don’ts.
Each board member receives a booklet with sample vacancy announcements, application form, interview questions, reference check form, and other material board members can adapt for their district’s needs.
SCHEDULE A WORKSHOP: An MSBA staff member will come to your board meeting to conduct this workshop. For more information or to schedule a workshop, contact Sandy Gundlach (800-324-4459, ext. 128, or email@example.com) or Amy Fullenkamp-Taylor (800-324-4459, ext. 140, or firstname.lastname@example.org).